nzfriend

BBB - Bronwyn's Book Blog

Compiled thoughts on the books I read.

Constellation of Genius: 1922: Modernism Year One
For Her Own Good: Two Centuries of the Experts' Advice to Women
Barbara Ehrenreich, Deirdre English
North and South
Elizabeth Gaskell, Patricia Ingham
Hedy's Folly: The Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World - Richard Rhodes If this book had been titled anything but what it was, I wouldn't really have any complaints. As it is though, I feel the title is misleading. I'd say only about half the book is about Hedy Lamarr, the rest about George Antheil and their invention. I understand that the invention having two creators means you have to talk about them both, but then don't make the book sound like it's about Hedy Lamarr only and her inventions. It's a joint biography, and really only one invention is discussed in depth (others are mentioned in passing).

That all being said, the book was easy to read and very interesting. My only other complaints are that it got bogged down a bit in all the technical information and the way the author sometimes writes. (Really, "A historian wrote", or some such? Call the historian by name, don't make me go hunting in the notes for every reference.) I'd recommend this book, but don't go into it thinking it's just about Hedy Lamarr.