nzfriend

BBB - Bronwyn's Book Blog

Compiled thoughts on the books I read.

Constellation of Genius: 1922: Modernism Year One
For Her Own Good: Two Centuries of the Experts' Advice to Women
Barbara Ehrenreich, Deirdre English
North and South
Elizabeth Gaskell, Patricia Ingham
The Inheritor's Powder: A Tale of Arsenic, Murder, and the New Forensic Science - Sandra Hempel Won through Goodreads.

This book was fine. Some parts were better than others. I agree with the other reviewer/s who said that it seemed like the author had a lot of information that she wanted to include and just stuck it in. There was so much that only roughly all tied together. The main case Hempel focused on was interesting, but not enough for a book. Trying to tell the stories of the toxicologist and sort of one of the cops just didn't work. There are ways to tell multiple stories in one book, but this just isn't one of them.

The parts dealing directly with the Bodle case were interesting and those were the parts that read the quickest for me. All of the technical and peripheral information just dragged on and on. Having the synopsis on the back make it sound like this book was about George Bodle's murder was misleading; the book was only slightly centered on that case.

It's an interesting book, but I don't know that I'd really recommend it to many people.